Viva la Vermox! Death to Parasites!
One of the downsides to living in Mexico is the certainty that at some point you will have some new neighbours, close neighbours, little teeny tiny neighbours living in your intestines. Amoebas and parasites are just part of life here. They build up gradually, sometimes you don't even realize you've got them, starting off with some minimal discomfort, growing into a love affair with the toilet. Most folks living in Cancun eat and drink a LOT of yogurt (blech) or take acidophilus tablets to help promote the growth of the good flora and fauna of the digestive system, but even still they'll getcha, they always getcha in the end (pun intended).
Even taking all the precautions in the world can't prevent these little critters from throwing a party in your pants. You can get them from the water, under-washed fruits and veggies, undercooked meat, bad hygiene, touching someone else who is infected or even just breathing in dust that might have the eggs of the parasites attached.
So, what's a girl to do? De-parasite, that's what! There are several brands of pills and liquids on the market that will destroy the invaders (or so they say). Some are taken over a week, though I prefer the one dose wonders. It's very common practice to take these medications once or twice a year to "clean the pipes" so to speak.
Last year I got kind of lazy about the whole thing and let it go for too long. I actually got used to having the Big D and spending a lot of time in the loo. It started to seem "normal". Until the dizziness and nausea and vomiting started and I ended up in the ER on an IV to replenish the desperately needed fluids. The tests at that point showed that I had amoebas AND salmonella and that they had moved into my kidneys. Yum.
Fast forward to the last month or so of not feeling quite right. At first I attributed everything to stress and the emotional crap in my life manifesting itself into, well, crap. I gave me head a shake and realized that I haven't been taking care of myself and that the parasites had taken over. So off to the local pharmacy where I purchased a couple of doses of Vermox Plus (the "Plus" is for amoebas!). They recommend that if one family member is de-parasiting, that everyone de-parasite so Hubby and I both dosed out last night. Max hasn't been showing any signs and just had a clean fecal test for school so I opted not to give it to him this time. So we should be clean and bug-free soon, yahoo!
I had to share a picture of the Vermox Plus instructions with you, the little cartoon parasites are just too cute! Click on the pic for a larger view of these happy little critters.
And here is a charming commercial for Vermox, doesn't everyone look so joyful and at home with body bugs? Almost makes the parasites look like friendly playmates instead of the life-suckers they are, I think the little girl is really going to miss them in the end. I on the other hand, will not miss them one microscopic bit.